Davis Reading Programme for Young Learners
The Davis Reading Programme for Young Learners is an individualized learning enhancement programme with a licensed and trained Davis Facilitator. Its mission is to give children aged 4-8 the best possible start at the outset of their learning career.
What we aim to achieve is:
- To provide lifelong learning skills to younger children through a partnership between Facilitator, child and parent(s).
- To give one or both of the child’s parents, or a support person, sufficient confidence and skill to continue working with the Davis Young Learner’s Kit after the programme.
- To provide children with the conceptual skills needed to develop reading fluency and comprehension.
The Davis Reading Programme for Young Learners is designed for use by parents who are concerned that school does not meet the education needs of their child in the early years.
oung learners deserve the best start we can give them. By using the Davis methods at home, parents can prevent the onset of learning difficulties and even give their child an advantage over other students right from the start.
Strong research evidence suggests that children who use the Davis methods at pre-reading or primary level (age 4-8) benefit in the following ways:
- They are unlikely to develop a learning difficulty.
- They are significantly more likely to qualify for gifted program referrals.
- Their basic word recognition will be among the highest levels expected for their age group.
The Davis Reading Programme for Young Learners provides important tools to beginning readers. Through the unique partnership philosophy of the program, parents or other family members gain the skills needed to provide the child with ongoing quality support.
Typically, the Facilitator will schedule 25-30 hours of time with the student; at least half or more of the program time will also include the parent or support person participating in helping the child with the new skills and techniques.
The programme will help the child with all the following aspects of learning:
- focus attention
- improve eye-hand coordination
- learn the alphabet
- learn basic punctuation
- develop and strengthen pre-reading and basic reading skills
- prevent the potential of a learning problem
- improve sight word recognition and comprehension
- establish life-long "how to learn" skills.
As part of the programme, students will always receive theDavis Young Learner Kit for home use, to be used at home to follow up with the programme.
Contact one of our facilitators to find out more: